The Tyger's Den Headline Animator

The Tyger's Den

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Civic Duty

This little wolfie has to fulfill her civic duty today! That's right, everyone, Tygerwolfe has jury duty!

dire wolf does the court system

I'm sitting in the juror assembly room right now, alternately reading, dozing, and trying to work on homework that isn't proving any easier to do in this big noisy room than it was at my nice quiet desk. Probability in statistics is insanely difficult, and I'm just not grasping it.

I brought lots of things with me today - my acer, obviously, as that's what I'm posting from, a book, a packed lunch, my homework notebook, calculator, and notes... But I somehow managed not to bring a sketchbook. I'm annoyed with myself for this, because sure enough, I want to draw.

I'm broke, hence the pack lunch, but I can smell the little dining room that's just outside this room, and I can see the food. I ate this morning, but smelling the food is making me hungry.

To make matters worse, as usually happens when I know I have to get up early the next day, I had insomnia last night. I was awake until nearly 3:30am, and got up at six to get ready for Jury Duty. I've made it through the first couple of hours, but now the tired is starting to weigh on me. I think I'm going to have to nap when I get home.

I'm annoyed at the early time, but I don't resent having to report. After all, jury duty is "duty" for a reason, and I have a big respect for responsibility. All the same, though, I'm hoping I don't get chosen, just because I'm already missing a math class for this today and I don't want to deal with the repercussions if I miss another. I'm listening to a Judge talk to us about why it's important to be a juror and why it's a privilege to have been chosen. That kind of summed it up, though, she just said, "We make you park a long way away, walk a long way, form lines, wait, and wait... and when you're done waiting, we ask you to wait some more!"

But I'm nothing if not patient (when it comes to everything short of a person getting a gift I'm giving them - I get VERY impatient when it comes to that), and the waiting doesn't bother me. I wait, I watch, I listen. And I am proud to be giving my civil service to the Orange County court system today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Me Tracks!